2003-02-08

First Post

Welcome to the new Gregor's World, now implemented as a Movable Type weblog.

I've been searching for a content management and/or weblog system I could install and configure without too much trouble, and Movable Type was the first one that installed on my system without much trouble. I've tried HTML::Mason (doesn't work out of the box with RedHat 8.0's newer 2.0 Apache and beta 1.99 mod_perl) and even tinkered with some Java systems, but none of them worked the way I wanted. I read about Movable Type last night in The 2003-03 issue of Linux Journal (an article titled "Building with Blogs" by Doc Searls and David Sifry -- thanks, guys!) and decided to give it a try. It was not hard at all to get it installed and working on my RedHat 8.0 system.

I'll be importing the old Gregor's World content into posts in this weblog, and adding new entries over time. Some of my older writings and researches may appear as (possibly back-dated) posts, too.

I may also merge this with Gregor's Word of the Week at some point. Another option would be to create a separate Gregor's Word of the Week weblog and incorporate the current subscriber list as weblog 'readers' for notifications.

In any case, I hope you find something of value here, even if its only entertainment value.

No comments: