Back in 2002-03 I started working on a Perl module for building RealTimeBattle robots. The Cincinnati Linux Users' Group was planning a competition, and I was thinking of entering. I ran into some trouble with the concurrency mechanisms, but I wasn't sure if it was something I was doing wrong, or bugs in Perl's threading mechanism. I did not end up entering the competition.

Today, I peeked at the code again, and did some debugging to see if I could figure out where things were going wrong. In the end, it looked like I was running into Perl bug 15654, or something like it. It turns out that POE 0.25 complains about this bug when I try to build it on my machine, so it does seem likely that I've fallen prey to it.

No comments: